Relationship of Scleroderma and other autoimmune diseases

General Discussion-Camp Lejeune Water Contamination

Relationship of Scleroderma and other autoimmune diseases

Postby Dan1971 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:31 pm

While searching for a way to show the relationship of Scleroderma ( Scleroderma is one of the 14 NRC diseases ) and other autoimmune diseases I came across this site. The funny thing is this site was always available to me because the doctor who wrote this Dr Foster is my doctor. What he writes here supports the relationship of Scleroderma and other autoimmune diseases, in my case Scleritis.

This link is worth reading. http://www.uveitis.org/kids/OIDGuide.htm

Autoimmunity
The immune system is designed to protect and defend the body from foreign intruders (germs). The mechanisms of the immune system reside in the body, not in the eye. The immune system is complex. Essentially, it contains several different types of cells, some of which function like security guards, which are constantly on patrol looking for any foreign invaders. When they spot one, they take action and eliminate the intruder.
In some forms of ocular inflammatory disease, the immune system loses its ability to tell the difference between a foreign intruder and a person's own normal tissues and cells. So, in essence, the guarding cells lose their memory, and they mistakenly identify the person's own normal cells as foreign (antigens) and, subsequently, take action to eliminate them.
This dysregulation of the immune system is termed autoimmunity, or immune attack against self. The reason why this happens is unknown. The result of autoimmunity is chronic inflammation.

Autoimmune-mediated Ocular Inflammatory Disease
Autoimmune diseases are characterized by the body's immune responses being directed against its own tissues, causing prolonged inflammation and subsequent tissue destruction. A number of autoimmune diseases exist, the most familiar of which is rheumatoid arthritis. In rheumatoid arthritis, the dysregulated immune system attacks the joints.
A number of autoimmune diseases exist in which the eye or various parts of the eye may be attacked. In ocular inflammatory disease, often the autoimmune disease is systemic, not only involving the eye but a variety of organs throughout the body. The most common examples of such diseases include rheumatoid arthritis, systemic lupus erythematosus, polyarteritis nodosa, relapsing polychondritis, Wegener’s granulomatosis, scleroderma, Behcet’s disease, inflammatory bowel disease (Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis), sarcoidosis, and ankylosing spondylitis.
Dan1971

Re: Relationship of Scleroderma and other autoimmune disease

Postby JMMRLND » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:05 pm

Dan

There is a host of this information on ocular involvement and autoimmune disease. The good thing is that in your case your doctor is the author and he should be able to write a great nexus letter for you. Good for you that you have him for your Rheumatologist.

I just got out of the hospital yesterday after the hip became infected and had high fevers. Things seem to be stabilizing now, and i look forward to getting back on the board again.

Jim
JMMRLND

Postby Sherry1965 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:04 pm

Jim, Jim, Jim,
What are we going to do with you? Every time you have an operation, you get an infection! I hope you are feeling better! I bet the Lupus medication doesn't help with the healing process.

I was reading, in one of the many Arthritis mags at the Rheumatologists office, that they will be coming out with a new medication for Lupus in the near future! I know when I'm taking Enbrel, I am more likely to get ill much faster than not but the downside is when I don't take it, I feel even worse from the RA - so it's hell if I do and hell if I dont. I'm glad to see you back in here, my friend! You were missed.

Will has been giving me some wonderful information and helping me with my VA claim - I got an email yesterday saying they were going to send the info I faxed Friday to them and try to expidite my claim! That was good news! It would be nice to have before August 17th (my 2 year anniversary of my claim). All of this due to the "hardship" claim that Will told me about. Pray that it works out in the best way possible.

Good news for you! On the survey they have Lupus as one of the diseases they are checking for - see the other post I put in here.

Gotta scoot - Take care and get better because you are missed in here!

Sherry
Sherry1965

Postby JMMRLND » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:45 pm

THANKS FOR THE LETTER SHERRY AND THE ENCOURAGEMENT. i HAVE HAD 7 REVISIONS AND 3 INFECTIONS. i HAVE NO IMMUNE SYSTEM LEFT. i AM GETTING TO FEEL BETTER AND i MISS BEING ON BOARD WITH YOU GUYS. i HOPE IN A FEW DAYS i CAN RETURN AND WIL IS A GREAT SOURCE OF INFO AND INSIGHT. i WANT ALL OF US WHO SUFFER AUTOIMMUNE DISEASES TO BE INCLUDED NO MATTER THE DIAGNOSIS', AUTOIMMUNITY IS AUTOIMMUNITY AND IT IS A PROCESS TRIGGERED BY THESE CHEMICALS. I HAVE YET TO RECEIVE MY SURVEY, SO IF I DON'T RECEIVE IT IN A FEW DAYS I WILL CALL ABOUT IT. I WILL REJOIN YOU SOON ON THE SITE AND I MISS THE FELLOWSHIP. LOVE YA JIM
JMMRLND

Postby Dan1971 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:45 pm

Welcome back Jim! Look forward to seeing you back on board....

Autoimmunity examples with similarities and differences are Lupus and MS.
They are different diseases but they are both autoimmune diseases.
Lupus triggers a response from the immune system that may attack various organs in the body which brings me back to viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1518
Multiple sclerosis, on the other hand, attacks myelin, the fatty protective layer over nerves fibers in the brain and spinal cord.

Sometimes the immune system makes a mistake and attacks the body's own tissues or organs, this is called autoimmunity.

Think about we who suffer from autoimmune diseases have flare-ups, and then remissions and so on.

Although my friends here don't agree, the more I read the more I am convinced with "One way to group these diseases is by the body system(s) they attack".... Dan
Dan1971

Return to The Few, The Proud, The Forgotten