Chemical Health Effects

General Discussion-Camp Lejeune Water Contamination

Chemical Health Effects

Postby Sherry2499 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:56 pm

Why is Autoimmune diseases no longer listed as a Chemical Health Effect? When I started on here in 2009, it was listed.

Sherry :?:
Sherry2499

Re: Chemical Health Effects

Postby Dan1971 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:26 pm

Sherry, Last April when asking the ATSDR about blood diseases such as autoimmune disease, bone marrow damage and the effects to the immune system from the toxins we had been exposed to I received this reply.

TCE, PCE, and benzene have been linked to the diseases you mentioned below in other studies. To examine the link between contaminated drinking water at Camp Lejeune and adverse health effects, ATSDR is going to conduct a mortality study and health survey, starting this year.

The health survey instrument will collect information on cancers and the following non-cancer diseases of interest: Parkinson’s disease, kidney failure and other severe kidney diseases, severe liver diseases, lupus, aplastic anemia, TCE-related skin disorders, scleroderma, multiple sclerosis, motor neuron disease/amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), infertility, endometriosis, and miscarriages occurring to women who were pregnant while residing or working on base.

The mortality study will evaluate the following diseases associated with the chemicals:
• aplastic anemia (benzene)
• bladder cancer (PCE)
• brain cancer (VC)
• breast cancer (PCE)
• cervical cancer (TCE, PCE)
• colon/rectal cancer (PCE)
• esophageal cancer (PCE)
• Hodgkin’s disease (TCE)
• kidney cancers (TCE)
• kidney diseases (TCE, PCE)
• leukemias (TCE, benzene, PCE)
• liver cancer and liver disease (TCE, VC)
• lung cancer (PCE, VC)
• lupus (TCE)
• motor neuron disease/ALS (solvents)
• multiple myeloma (TCE, benzene)
• multiple sclerosis (solvents)
• NHL (TCE, PCE, benzene)
• pancreatic cancer (PCE)
• Parkinson’s disease (TCE)
• scleroderma (TCE, PCE)
• soft tissue sarcoma (VC)

During tomorrow’s CAP meeting, we will provide an update on the studies and discuss the water modeling analyses. You can view the meeting over the internet on our website http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/sites/lejeune/events.html.

Please visit our website at http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/sites/lejeune/index.html to stay up to date with our activities. Currently, this is our primary means of informing and updating the community about our activities at Camp Lejeune.

Thank you for your interest in ATSDR’s activities at Camp Lejeune. Please let us know if you have other questions.
Dan1971

Postby Sherry2499 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:31 pm

This disturbs and alarms me. I posted under Autoimmune diseases 2 different links showing the relation of TCE and autoimmune diseases. I think someone at the ATSDR has overlooked the links that are shown in those case studies.

What can I/we do about this?

Sherry
Sherry2499

Postby JME » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:30 pm

Sherry,
Send an email to the ATSDR Camp Lejeune web-site and ask them to address your specific issue during the next CAP meeting in April...Jerry Ensminger
JME
Site Admin

Postby Sherry2499 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:16 am

Jerry:

I did send them an email - thank you for the suggestion. Can you make sure it is addressed or do we have someone that attends those meetings?

I can send you/them a copy of the email.

Thanks!
Sherry
Sherry2499

Postby thuntley » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:20 am

Sherry,
My husband has Central Nervous System Vasculitis. CNSV is autoimmune in origin. We have obtained a NEXUS letter supporting this. I have countless websites, case studies ect give me a few days and I will post these sites. If I can be of any assistance please let me know.
Terri
thuntley

Postby JME » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:03 am

Yes, I attend them along with several other folks on this site but you must take into consideration that there is only about 6 hours dedicated to each meeting, that is why I recommended that you write to the ATSDR Camp Lejeune web-site and raise your concern there. Be certain to ask that your email is forwarded to Dr. Frank Bove and Perri Ruckart, also ask that this issue be addressed during the April CAP meeting, that way it can be included into the schedule. Jerry
JME
Site Admin

Postby usmc_wlh1975 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:05 am

I think that this is one of those cases where there is a fairly large body of scientific proof through animal vector studies and not so much through human studies thus far. That is, there is enough proof for a medical doctor to definitively tie various autoimmune diseases/conditions to specific cases based on the particular facts of a given person's medical history, but there is still not a large enough body of human studies available for epidemiologists or others in the biosciences to generally tie the health effects together with particular chemicals.

I believe that this is because science is extremely political at its roots and you often have to build a consensus between all of the major researchers/institutions before you will have publishers who are willing to publish particular axiomatic findings (especially when large corporations/government entities come out against a particular frame of reference).

The whole Earth-centric universe model stayed in place for decades longer than it would have had the church not been pushing it, that sort of thing...

usmc_wlh1975
semper fidelis, semper ingenuus
idiota nil despero
usmc_wlh1975

Postby Sherry2499 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:25 pm

I appreciate what you are saying Will, but the evidence is pretty clear from the studies I've read. Please see the link below:

"The available data from studies in humans also provide evidence of an association between increased TCE exposure and cytokine measures indicative of an inflammatory immune response"

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2685829/

Glenda Cooper, PHD was co-author on this study and she and her cohorts compiled not only information on the lupus mouse and rat studies but also studies on TCE and how it affected humans. She and her group compiled several studies from all over the world on human subjects that were exposed to TCE. I spoke with Glenda over the telephone and unfortunately she felt she couldn't get involved because she works for the CDC and felt it would be a conflict of interest to represent individuals like myself while she works for the government. So, yes, Will you are right, science is political at it roots. However, the scientific studies still point to the fact that TCE is a trigger for autoimmune diseases. My concern is that they are not including the autoimmune diseases in the study they are doing for the Camp Lejune water. I feel that we are only touching the tip of the iceburg with the autoimmune diseases that TCE has triggered.

I will send another email and address it to Frank Bove and Perri Ruckert and request it be addressed at the April CAP meeting. I won't be able to attend due to my health, work and financial reasons and I appreciate everything you and everyone else on this site does. There are so many out there like us who don't even know about the water yet it's frightening. If I'm sending it to the wrong place, I would hope that someone would give me the right email address :oops: - I just used the bottom of the ASTDR page to send my email before.

Thanks
Sherry
Sherry2499

Postby Sherry2499 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:19 pm

26 studies on PCB's:

http://www.foxriverwatch.com/immune_pcb_pcbs_studies_1.html

This is good info if no one has already posted.

Sherry
Sherry2499

Postby Dan1971 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:51 pm

The VA has approved many claims for Autoimmune Disease, they do and have recognized the disease.
Again when searching the VA site you will find claims that have been won for Autoimmune Disease.
Here is another example, http://www4.va.gov/vetapp10/files3/1020254.txt
Remember, and we do have 1,2 & 3 plus a trigger.
1. A Current Disability. There must be a current disability, one that has been diagnosed by a medical professional;
2. An Event In Service. There must be evidence in the military service records of the occurrence or aggravation of a disease, injury, or event in service; and,
3. Medical Nexus Evidence. There must be a nexus, or link, between the current disability and the in-service disease, injury or event; i.e., the veteran must present medical evidence that the current disability and the in-service disease, injury or event are related So is it, was it?

AND WAS IT IS IT
Direct
Aggravation
Secondary
Presumption

When looking at the toxins in the water the VA should in most cases show a direct cause and or the fact that these toxins are triggers to many diseases.

As Jerry stated maybe they can address this at the next meeting. Let us know if you receive a reply from your letter.
Dan
Dan1971

Postby cac250 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:16 pm

This may have been asked earlier but regarding "The Mortality Study", will the evaluation also be considering other cancers not listed such as Prostate cancer? If Prostate cancer is not evaluated then it would seem that filing a claim for this cancer would just be asking the VA to automatically rubber stamp it "DENIED". Prostate Cancer usually starts showing up well after men have reached age 60+. It is very unusual for men in there 30's and 40's to get this form of cancer.

TCE and/or PCE are listed on our web page of "Chemical's Health Effects" as being connected with Prostate cancer. Pesticides have also been found to be connected with causing this cancer. It would seem that this form of cancer should be investigated just as Kidney and Liver cancers are, as they were listed in the same area. I realize the study can't include all illnesses and diseases but when their is a known connection, I would think that this makes it one worth looking at.

If the list of illnesses and diseases in the "Mortality Study" are pretty much a complete list of the only illnesses and diseases the VA will be considering for "Presumptive" status, then this is important to know. Thanks,
cac250

Return to The Few, The Proud, The Forgotten